I’ve mentioned that I am terrified of having dental work — not because I’m afraid of pain, but because I’m afraid of the toxins in the material dentists use. There is a very strong relationship between the health of the mouth and the health of the rest of the body. We know that metals such as mercury can be poisonous. Have you seen the Smoking Tooth video? If you registered for the Healthy Mouth Summit you received it. If you didn’t, you can sign up below and you will receive it right away!
According to Dr. Blanche Grube at the Healthy Mouth Summit, holistic dentists see the mouth as a reflection of the whole person.
We look in the mouth and the mouth is a picture of what’s going on in the rest of the body.
She feels that the dentist should be a primary care physician, because decay and gum disease is a systemic disease. It can be seen in the teeth and the gums, but it reflects what is going in inside. I agree with this 100%. A dentist is in the perfect position to advise people about their health.
Conventional Dentistry is Filled With Extremely Toxic Materials
Practically every aspect of conventional dentistry is filled with extremely toxic materials. Number one is, of course, mercury amalgams. Number two is the fluoride treatments they love to give everyone — children and adults alike.
Thankfully I never allowed them to give my kid a fluoride treatment or fluoride pills. I remember the receptionist giving me a hard time when I refused the prescription for the vitamins with fluoride. She really was trying to intimidate me and I could see that someone less knowledgeable or less sure would be convinced that fluoride was a good thing.
The best thing to do is go to a holistic dentist that does not use these toxic materials and who is knowledgeable about holistic health.
How To Find A Holistic Dentist
Sadly, that is not how most dentists are trained. If you are searching for a holistic dentist in your area you can go to The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicolocy. The dentists in this organization practice mercury and fluoride free.
But beyond that, you need to have some information about what are the best ways to take care of any previous dental work and any future work. Hopefully, by following a real food diet, you will not have any dental decay anymore. That is what I found, especially when my son was little. He had three cavities in baby teeth and sadly, one small cavity in a permanent tooth. I cried over that.
And then I took action. We went on our grain, dairy, additive and refined sugar free diet and guess what.
No more cavities at all — ever. He is all grown up now and has not had a cavity since.
Here is What To Look For in Dental Procedures
Dentists need to stop putting material in the mouth that will activate the immune system. This can be tested and should be tested. If you are going to have mercury amalgams removed, for instance, you do not want to put composite (the white fillings) materials in that will trigger an immune response in your body. There are many different composites and they should be tested.
Material compatibility testing
- Blood Compatibility Testing — combining patient’s blood serum with the dental material — if there is protein precipitation (clumping) it is highly reactive
- Dr.Grube mentioned BioComp Labs as having the most scientific method to determine this
- There are also some energetic ways of testing this such as EAV Energy Testing, Muscle Testing and QXCI (a biofeedback method)
Dentists also must use very specific techniques and equipment to remove mercury amalgams. It is critical to protect the patient and the workers in this potentially toxic procedure. The point of removing the mercury amalgam is to decrease the exposure, but if it is not done correctly, you risk getting quite a large dose of mercury vapor and possibly bits of mercury dust from the drilling our of the amalgam.
Do not trust a conventional dentist to do this correctly. The following is a list of the most perfect scenario of what should be done and what special equipment should be used.
Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Essentials
- Full history of patient including blood chemistry and hair analysis ( In New York hair analysis is not possible due to stupid laws)
- Supplements BEFORE the procedure including IV Vitamin C in the arm. Not all dentists are equipped for IV vitamins. — oral vitamins are fine
- Patient is protected with rubber dam (but this is not 100% sealed — so there should be sulfur cream on rubber dam to cut down of gases going through the dam
- Suction under the rubber dam for mercury vapor
- Suction above the rubber dam
- Lots of water
- Specific removal technique by taking the mercury amalgam out in chunks to cut down use of high speed drill and use a slow round burr instead
- Placement of compatible composite specifically chosen for that patient
Mercury is being phased out of dentistry — by 2015 the United Nations has decreed the end of the use of mercury in dentistry.
What To Know About The Plastic Resins in Composites
- Composite fillings are very hard
- Many composites do not have BPA in them
- Sealants all have BPA — recognized by the body as estrogen
- Plastic may have some drawbacks but compared to mercury it is very safe
According to Dr. Blanche Grube, the dentist of the future should have a rounded medical education and work with other health professionals such as nutritionists, chiropractors, and other holistic practitioners.
Have you seen the Healthy Mouth Summit? It has been AMAZING! It has been so informative with cutting edge, current information and each and every speaker had something different to contribute. I’ve really been enjoying it.
Need more information? I got you covered!
- Where to get more information on the Healthy Mouth Summit.
- Where to get state-of-the-art information on keeping your mouth healthy.
This post is shared at: Barnyard Hop,Mommy Club, Healthy 2Day, Party Wave Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration, Real Food Wednesday