When you first go grain or gluten free it can be a shock because you cannot eat all the convenience foods that are so easy to grab. Who doesn’t miss a blueberry muffin in the morning? Now you can have it, just in a slightly different way.
It’s so easy to put together this recipe that gives you two loaves of grain free, gluten free bread that can be used for breakfast or snacks!
Using only simple, real ingredients this bread is packed with protein from the egg whites, good fats from the yolks and coconut oil and fiber from the coconut flour. What’s not to like?
Additionally, blueberries add flavor, texture and a slew of antioxidants to any baked product. Antioxidants consist of a group of vitamins, minerals and enzymes that help bind up harmful metabolic by-products called “free radicals” that can lead to tissue and DNA damage, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other age-related diseases.
Free radicals are highly reactive compounds that are formed from normal metabolic functions in the body and also when our cells have toxic exposure to substances such as radiation, chemicals, pollution, smoke, drugs, alcohol, pesticides and the sun.A poor diet also contributes to the formation of free radicals.
Anthocyanin (the pigment that makes blueberries blue) contains naturally occurring plant chemicals called polyphenols which have very high antioxidant characteristics. The darker, deeper blue fruits have the highest anthocyanin values, thereby supplying the most potent antioxidant sources.
The USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging in Boston has developed an assay called ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity), which rates the antioxidant capacity of foods. Fresh blueberries have a high level of ORAC, at 2400 per 100 grams. Researchers have found that blueberries rank #1 in antioxidant activity when compared to 40 common fresh fruits and vegetables.
In this recipe you can use fresh or frozen blueberries, preferably organic.
- 4 medium bananas lightly spotted
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (+ a tablespoon at a time if the batter is too loose)
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- Peel the bananas and puree in the food processor
- Add the eggs, vanilla and coconut oil and mix well
- Add the salt, baking soda and coconut flour and mix – the batter should be pourable but firm so add coconut flour a little at a time if need be
- Remove to a bowl and mix in the blueberries
- Line the loaf pans with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil
- Pour the batter equally into the pans
- Bake at 325 ºF for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- When done, slide the loaf out onto a rack and let cool
- Slice and serve or freeze for later use
Tip: You can slice this and freeze the slices separately for ease
Like this recipe? Get many more and tons of information and instructions on using grain free flours in my fantastic kindle books. You don’t need a kindle to read them, as Amazon offers a FREE reader for all devices, on the sales page for each book.
These recipes are suitable for Paleo, SCD, GAPS and all grain free eaters.