Its still cool and windy here on the east coast and I am still very much craving savory hearty foods. One of my favorite side dishes to make is composed of a variety of root vegetables. It’s easy to prepare and simple to roast in the oven while cooking other parts of the meal.
Root vegetables can include beet (my favorite), yam, sweet potato, horseradish, parsnip, celeriac, Daikon radish, carrot, turnip, rutabaga, jicama, yucca, just to name a few. They provide deep nutrition if they are grown in good soil. I would advise that any root vegetable you eat be organic.
Roots accumulate a high concentration of antioxidants as well as vitamins C, B complex, A, and iron. They are complex carbohydrates and have a good amount of fiber. They are a great substitute for starchier potatoes, which are in the nightshade family and can cause inflammation in certain people.
For folks who are on grain-free diets, root vegetables are a great source of carbohydrate and fiber.
While most roots are in season fall through spring, (beets are seasonal summer through fall), they are typically available all year round these days. Make sure they are hard. Soft root vegetables are on the way out and not fresh. If they come with leaves (like bunches of beets) make sure the leaves are fresh looking and strong.
It’s best to store roots in a paper bag in the refrigerator. I find that plastic creates moisture and this can cause them to soften prematurely. If you have a root cellar even better!
While some root vegetable may be eaten raw, such as carrots, jicama and even kohlrabi shaved into a salad, I enjoy most of them cooked.
Balsamic Roasted Roots
- 2 medium beets
- 5 medium parsnips
- 5 multicolored carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar (get it here)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 9 x 13 roasting pan
- Chef’s knife
- Small bowl
- Clean and peel all the root vegetables
- With the knife cut all the roots into slices lengthwise to create sticks
- Crush and mince the garlic
- Chop the onion
- Add all the vegetables to the dish and mix up
- In a small bowl add the avocado oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and combine with a whisk
- Pour this over the vegetables and combine with your hands to coat all the vegetables
- Roast at 375º F for about 45 – 50 minutes, turning the vegetables every 8 minutes
- They are done when soft but not mushy and browned but not burnt
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 5 – 6 servings
Add other root vegetables and also add herbs or spices you love (ginger root is great here)