Golden beets are beautiful. Roasting the beets adds another dimension to the flavors of this root. A simple dressing made of extra virgin olive oil, lemon and dill creates a light and fresh salad for summer.
Lots of Nutrition in Beets
Cooked beets are high in Vitamin A and folate with a little choline as well. They are loaded with potassium and there is also calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and sodium. The typical color of red/purple beetroot is due to a variety of betalain pigments. The composition of different betalain pigments can vary, giving breeds of beetroot which are yellow or other colors in addition to the familiar deep red. These pigments are also powerful antioxidants.
Beetroot or garden beets are different than sugar beets. Sugar beets are a commodity crop used to make sugar and unfortunately most of that crop is now genetically modified. Just to be sure, I only eat organic beets.
Beets are used traditionally in Jewish culture as a soup called borscht. I remember my mother eating this with a dollop of sour cream.
Beet kvass is a fermented beet drink which I love, full of nutrition and very cleansing to the liver. However, beets are high in oxalates which may cause problems for people who form oxalate kidney stones and for those who are sensitive to oxalates in general.
Most people find that the red color of beets are passed through to the urine and stools — easily mistaken for blood! With these golden beets, that will not happen.
Golden Roasted Beet Salad with Dill
- 2 pounds golden beets
- A few stalks of fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (where to buy)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Handful walnuts
- 9 x 13 Roasting pan (where to buy)
- Mixing bowl
- Clean the beets under running water and cut off the stems (you can use the greens for soup or juicing)
- Cut in half and place face down in the roasting pan — you may need to use two pans if you have a lot of beets
- Roast at 400 degrees F for one hour (or longer) until a knife goes through easily
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Peel the skins off — this is easier after cooking
- Cut into slices or chunks
- Place in mixing bowl and toss with the walnuts, olive oil and lemon juice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: One hour or more