I was at the Farmer’s Market the other day and I noticed a box of zucchini flowers. How pretty! Just because I am grain free doesn’t mean I can’t have a delicacy like this! The woman at the farm stand told me to use bisquick and vegetable oil to cook them. Ha! Not me — than you very much. Mine will be much healthier and still light and delicate, I’ll show you how.
Zucchini blossoms have traditionally been eaten as a delicacy. Only the male flowers are used as they will not have any budding fruits inside. I remember that one year I tried to grow zucchini, I had mostly male blossoms — no zucchini. I was very disappointed. Had I known I could eat those male flowers I would certainly have enjoyed them.
There is nutrition in zucchini blossoms. Like zucchini squash, zucchini flowers are high in folate and potassium. I haven’t been able to find a nutritional analysis of just the flowers, but they most likely have a nutritional profile similar to that of the zucchini squash which is also high in manganese and vitamin A.
Grain Free Zucchini Blossoms
- Zucchini blossoms — as many as you like, I had 16 (they were 25 cents each)
- fat for cooking — lard, tallow, palm shortening — I used lard
- coconut flour for breading
- egg for dipping
- sea salt
- granulated garlic
- Large fry pan
- Carefully remove the pistils of the flower by gently opening one side of the flower
- While you are there, check for any insects inside (they like to hide there)
- Remove any long stems
- Heat the oil in the fry pan to a medium heat — hot enough to sizzle when you place the flowers in
- Set up an assemble line of a bowl for the egg and a flat plate for the coconut flour
- Sprinkle the seasonings on the plate of coconut flour
- Scramble the egg
- Dip the flower into the egg and let it drip off
- Lightly roll the blossom in the coconut flour
- Place in the hot pan and fry until browned
- This only takes a minute or two
- Turn the flower and brown the other side
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate
- Serve immediately — they are best right out of the pan!