If you are grain-free, you don’t want to miss out on matzoh ball soup! This recipe for grain-free Matzoh Ball Soup is nutritious and delicious!
While it is part of the traditional meal on Jewish holidays, matzoh ball soup is enjoyed year round by many people.
Also known as Jewish penicillin, it does indeed ward off the chills and aches of a cold or flu.
There are several ways to make the broth part of the soup:
- As a chicken meat broth (boil a whole chicken for 2.5 hours, remove the chicken meat and you have a meat broth)
- As a chicken bone broth
- As chicken feet broth in the crockpot or chicken feet broth in the instant pot
Grain-Free Matzoh Balls
The key to making grain-free matzoh balls that stick together is in the fat. You must use chicken fat for this recipe. Olive oil or some other fat will not work well.
Another tip is to make small balls – the size of a quarter. If you try to make these balls larger – they will fall apart.
Here is an alternative recipe for grain-free matzoh balls that rivals your favorite traditional wheat matzoh balls.
Let me know how you like them!
Video/Recipe: Grain-free Matzoh Balls
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: refrigerate 30 minutes cook 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1.5 hours
- Yield: about 14 small balls 1x
- Mix the eggs and the cold chicken fat together (do not soften the chicken fat)
- Add in almond flour and salt and mix all the ingredients until the batter is stiff
- The batter must be stiff – If it is not stiff use more almond flour
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Make small balls about 1 – 1.5 inches in diameter
- If the batter is sticky, just wet your hands a little
- Drop the balls into the boiling water, cover and simmer for 45 minutes
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the balls directly to soup, or let cool and freeze for later
- When ready to serve, let the matzoh balls rest in chicken broth to soak up some of the flavors
- Large pot for boiling the matzoh balls
- Mixing bowl
- Slotted spoon