It’s that time of the year when pumpkins are everywhere and pumpkin dishes abound. This pecan crusted pumpkin pie is an amazing blend of flavors!
What would Thanksgiving be without pumpkin pie? This is a simple, whole, nutritious, you-could-eat-it-for-breakfast pie.
This pecan crusted pumpkin pie has a wonderfully crispy crust with the buttery flavor of the pecans that is reminiscent of graham cracker crust. Filled with fresh cooked pumpkin it is totally satisfying and a great way to top off a seasonal meal!
Check out my video for making this crust in my apple crisp recipe! It is exactly the same crust and the video shows you how to make it.
Pecan Crusted Pumpkin Pie
Recipe: Pecan Crusted Pumpkin Pie SCD/GAPS
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Drip the cooked pumpkin in a strainer with a bowl underneath for an hour to get out excess liquid
- In a food processor puree the pumpkin, all the spices and the eggs
- Add the coconut milk or cream and mix
- Measure out the nuts and in a food processor grind them to a nut butter
- Add the oil, honey, vanilla and process
- Add the coconut flour and process until it combines and it becomes a ball
- If it is too soft add a little more coconut flour 1 teaspoon at a time until it becomes solid enough to press into a pie pan (it doesn’t have to become a ball)
- Press the crust batter into a large pie plate (9″ or 10″ lined with oiled parchment paper)
Putting it all together
- Pour the filling into the pie crust
- Bake in a 350º F oven for 45 – 50 minutes — you might want to cover the rimes of the crust with foil or a commercial pie crust protector as they tend to burn
- If the crust is getting too dark cover the pie with a piece of foil or other oven safe method and continue to bake until it is set
- Cool and then refrigerate
- This may be served warm or cold with toppings such as fresh whipped cream, coconut whipped cream, yogurt, etc.
• Food processor (where to buy a food processor)
• 9 inch pie pan (where to buy)
• Parchment paper (where to buy parchment paper)