This year summer has come in with a blast of heat and I am especially needing a cold and refreshing snack. Here is a dairy free ice cream that is so delicious you will not miss regular ice cream at all. Though it needs no dressing up, I added a raspberry swirl to sweeten the deal.
The additional of the box of coconut cream makes this recipe rock. This coconut cream is so thick you can eat it with a fork! Although there is a little xanthum gum in this product I have found that it does not account for any problems.
I am aware of many GAPS people who use the coconut milk and the coconut cream from this company (see the link to my resource page) and have not had any problems with it.
If you are strictly avoiding all additives, you may skip this ingredient and make your coconut milk very creamy instead. Be aware that if you are using cans of coconut milk, there is probably some gum product in it even if it is not listed on the label.
Benefits of the special fat in coconut products
Fats are categorized as either short-, medium-, or long-chain depending on how many carbon molecules they contain. Close to two-thirds of the saturated fat in coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids, which have antimicrobial properties, are easily digested by the body for quick energy, and are beneficial to the immune system. Far from being dangerous, the saturated fat in coconut oil is actually health promoting.
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal. Lauric and palmitic fatty acids are found in mother’s breast milk and help protect the infant against pathogens. Studies have shown the antimicrobial benefits of coconut oil.
Clearly the medium chain triglycerides in coconut products are extremely beneficial.
Raspberry Swirl Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cups coconut milk (how to make coconut milk) (where to buy coconut milk)
- 8 ounce coconut cream (where to buy coconut cream)
- 1/4 cup raw honey or other sweetener (where to buy raw honey and other natural sweeteners)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- Raspberry jam (how to make raspberry jam)
- Ice cream maker (where to buy my favorite ice cream maker)
- blender (where to buy my favorite blender)
- To get the coconut cream, put the can of coconut milk into the refrigerator for a few hours and then scrape off the heavy cream fromt the top – you should get at least 8 ounces
- Using a blender, add all the ingredients except the raspberry jam and combine well
- Pour this blend into your ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your machine
- I processed mine for about 20 – 25 minutes
- Prepare the parfait glass by dropping some jam at the bottom and swirling some jam around the sides
- Place the ice cream in the parfait glass and drip some more jam on top
- Garnish with a fresh raspberry if you have some
- Eat immediately as it will melt quickly!
- Freeze any leftovers in a freezer safe container