Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that is a true comfort food. This is a recipe for Grain Free and Dairy Free lasagna Courgette.
The word lasagna comes from the Greek word lasagnum which means bowl or pot. The Greeks used that style of dish and passed it on to the Romans and the name of the dish became the name of the food. The Romans eventually passed the recipe onto the British who published in the very first cookbook.
Lasagna is typically is made with pasta, meat and/or cheese and tomato sauce. However, in this version we use thin strips of zucchini in place of the pasta.
Honestly, it is so much healthier this way.
Grain Free Dairy Free Lasagna Courgette
I think everyone should toss the pasta. Pasta is devoid of any nutrition other than a few vitamins and that is only if it has been made with soaked and sprouted whole grains. Pasta is also highly glycemic and causes spiking insulin levels.
Read more about why you should quit the wheat here.
I think you’ll find this grain-free, dairy-free version of a this comfort food very tasty and satisfying.
Recipe: Grain Free Dairy Free Lasagna Courgette
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 medium zucchinni
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper (I like the long light green kind)
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1.5 pound chopped beef (preferably grassfed)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 clove garlic
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking (or other fat you might like to use)
- Chop the onion and pepper
- Mince the garlic
- Clean, peel and slice the mushrooms
- Heat the fry pan to medium and start sauteing the onion
- While it is cooking, peel the zucchini and slice about 1/8 inch thick — a mandolin will help with this but if you are using a knife slice them thin and as even as possible
- When the onions and peppers are soft, remove them set aside
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and browned (add fat to the pan if necessary)
- Add the garlic for just a minute or two at the end, remove and set aside with the onions and peppers
- In the same pan now cook the chopped meat but just so the rawness is gone — leave it pink as it will cook in the baking dish
- While you are doing all that you can also start to slice the zucchini with either the mandolin or a knife
Putting It All Together
- Pour 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish
- Line the pan with the zucchini slices on the bottom
- Use 1/2 of the beef and layer that on top of the zucchini
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the sauteed vegetables on top
- Now lay another row of zucchini slices, tomato sauce, beef and vegetables
- And finally the last layer of zucchini slices, tomato sauce, and vegetables (there should be only two layers of beef, 3 of the rest)
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes
- Remove and let cool for a bit then serve
- This tastes even better the next day if there is any left
- 11 x 7 baking dish (where to buy a glass baking dish)
- cookie sheets
- large fry pan
This is another great recipe from my online class, go grain-free. A grain-free diet has been used to improve many conditions.