Grain free baking requires a lot of eggs. I love eggs, but sometimes I just want to have something baked that does not have eggs in it. This recipe is a great snack for grabbing on-the-go as it is full of good proteins and fats.
Even without the eggs, this granola bar holds together surprisingly well. The gelatin is a good egg replacer and is also full of healthy amino acids that nourish our joints. I like to get as much gelatin in my diet as I can via bone broths, soups and treats made with gelatin.
The bar has a nice crunchy texture that is so satisfying and it also gets flavor from the salt, so use a good sea salt.
I like to balance the nuts with coconut flakes which provide good amounts of coconut oil. The use of raisins reduces the need for sweetener other than just a little honey which is optional. When spread over the 12 bars, this does not amount to much at all but you can omit the honey if you like.
I encourage you to taste the batter before baking to make sure it is sweet enough or not.
Grain Free Baked Granola Bar
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup coconut flakes (where to buy)
- 1 cup raisins chopped (organic)
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs (where to buy)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1 Tbsp honey (optional) (where to buy)
- 1 tsp salt (where to buy)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (where to buy spices)
- 3 Tbsp gelatin mixed in 6 – 8 Tbsp water (where to buy)
- Food processor (where to buy a food processor)
- 9 x 13 baking pan (where to buy)
- Spatula (where to buy)
- Chef’s knife
- In the food processor chop the pecans, coconut flakes and raisins, each separately and set aside in one bowl
- You want small pieces, but larger than a meal consistency so chop for only a few seconds at a time on pulse
- In the food processor place the almond flour, honey, salt , cinnamon, coconut oil and combine
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of gelatin with 6 – 8 tablespoons of water, and quickly add to the processor and mix well (if you delay, the gelatin will firm up too much)
- Add the bowl of chopped raisin, pecans and coconut flakes and add the cocoa nibs and mix just to combine (or you could do this in the bowl so it doesn’t get chopped any smaller)
- Place in a 9 x 13 baking pan that has been lightly oiled and smooth out
- Take the spatula and press the mixture so that it is as dense as can be
- Firm up the sides and flatten again
- Bake at 250º F for 20 – 25 minutes or until it is slightly browned on top
- Remove and let cool completely
- Slice with a chef’s knife into 12 bars
- Wrap in wax paper and freeze or refrigerate for a quick snack on the go
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 bars
For a fantastic selection of grain free bread recipes, check out my new kindle book! For a mere 2.99 you can have over 40 recipes all in one place!