No one in my house wants to drink hot soup in summer. But I want us to get the benefits of drinking my fantastic chicken broth that is loaded with collagen and gelatin. The solution is to make some cold summer soups! This Avocado Cucumber Soup fits the bill! It is light and refreshing and they ask for more!
Avocados are classified as a fruit and they are loaded with good fatty acids — primarily monounsaturated fats (the same as olive oil). There is a good omega 3 to 6 ratio. Additionally, they contain lots vitamins, A, K and choline. There is also a considerable amount of folate and vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. In fact, avocados have twice as much potassium as banana.
Studies Show Benefits
In this study published in the Journal of Nutrition, the researchers found that the carotenoids found in vegetables were much better absorbed in the presence of avocados. They felt that it was due to the fat content of the avocado that enabled better nutrient absorption.
Putting avocado in your salad will be a great benefit for absorption of all the nutrients in the raw vegetables.
Similarly, eating fat with vegetables also enhances nutrient and mineral absorption as recommended by the Weston Price Foundation. Using a high quality extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil or avocado oil as part of the salad dressing is the best way to do this. For cooked vegetables, use butter and your kids will love them!
Avoid store bought salad dressings as they are full of rancid, GM oils such as soy and canola oil, as well as additives and other junk.
Read a recipe for a delicious Walnut-Balsamic Salad Dressing!
No Need For Organic
There are certain fruits and vegetables that are not heavily sprayed with pesticides and/or just don’t seem to retain them. Avocados are not heavily sprayed and they also do not appear to retain pesticides. That means that is is fine to buy regular avocados that are not organic. Why spend the extra money when you do not need to?
Read more about the Health Benefits of Avocado Oil.
Read about the Top Eight Avocado Recipes! You’ll get some good ideas!
Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup
- 1 quart chicken stock (how to make)
- 2 large or 3 medium Haas avocado
- 1/2 small cucumber peeled and seeded
- 1 leek chopped
- 3 stalks scallion chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt (where to buy)
- 1 tsp minced fresh parsley for garnish
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional) (where to buy)
- Ghee or butter for frying (how to make ghee)
- Immersion blender (where to buy)
- Fry pan (where to buy)
- 3 -4 quart pot (where to buy)
- Lemon juicer (where to buy)
- In the fry pan melt the ghee or butter and sautee the leek until soft
- Add the scallions and garlic for a minute until fragrant
- In the quart pot, warm the soup until it is liquid
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the soup and take off the heat
- Add the avocado, cucumber, lemon juice and salt to the pot and puree with the immersion blender until smooth
- You can add a little water if it seems too thick
- Refrigerate and serve cold with the coconut cream and parsley as garnish
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes