I feel like I hit the jackpot with this recipe. It is the only coconut ice cream recipe so far that delivers REALLY smooth non-dairy ice cream!
The use of white sweet potato is brilliant and a nod goes out to Paleomom for this awesome idea!
I tweaked the recipe a bit to include using an already cooked potato, as I usually have lots of those on hand and it cuts down on cooking time! I also added a bit of salt as that is traditionally used in making ice cream.
I also used maple syrup instead of honey to give it that awesome vanilla/maple flavor. Lastly, for those not on the AIP, a bit of added stevia gives it that extra sweetness. For those who wish to avoid stevia, just use a little more maple syrup!
Why Make Ice Cream When You Can Buy It?
I’ll tell you why.
Most commercial ice cream is made with horrible chemical ingredients.
I just witnessed, yet again, a child under the influence of artificial sweeteners and colors. She was hopping around the grocery store, out of control, touching everything and endangering herself by running in front of people.
Her mouth was totally blue from ices with food coloring.
Then there are the refined sweeteners like white sugar or even worse, artificial sweeteners like Splenda which have been found to be addictive, neurotoxic and serve to increase cravings for sweets.
Additionally, due to the fallacy that low fat is healthier, most ice cream is made with low fat or conventional skim milk which has antibiotic and pesticide residues.
It is marketed as low fat, yet taking the fat out (and with it the important fat soluble vitamins) requires the addition of sugar, artificial sweeteners and artificial flavors in order to make it taste good.
There are also conditioners like mono and diglycerides that are used to emulsify the product so that it is smooth to the palate. These emulsifiers are partly made up of fatty acids, but since they are not classified as lipids they do not have to report that they contain trans fats. Trans fats have been found to be the culprit in cardiovascular disease, not cholesterol.
Need I say more?
All of these things are chemicals made to enhance the flavor and “mouth feel” of the product and have nothing to do with keeping the product simple and nutritious.
Here’s how to make amazing dairy-free vanilla ice cream that you will die for!
- 2 cans coconut cream (separated from the liquid milk)
- 1 Tbsp gelatin I like this one
- 10 - 12 oz. white sweet potato cooked (1 medium Japanese sweet potato)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract (AIP use vanilla powder) or 2 vanilla bean pods scraped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (grade B or dark)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp stevia (omit if AIP)
- Use some (about 2 Tbsp) of the liquid coconut milk to bloom the gelatin and set aside
- Add the coconut cream, the cooked potato, the vanilla extract or beans, honey, salt, stevia (if using) to a small pot and gently heat to medium
- Add the bloomed gelatin and whisk the ingredients together until smooth
- Add the mixture to a high speed blender and blend until smooth
- Keep the mixture in the blender and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until cold
- Remove and blend again
- Now add the mixture to your frozen ice cream maker and follow the directions from the manufacturer
- Enjoy as hard or semi-soft serve!
Like this recipe? Get many more and tons of information and instructions on using grain free flours in my fantastic kindle books. You don’t need a kindle to read them, as Amazon offers a FREE reader for all devices, on the sales page for each book.
These recipes are suitable for Paleo, SCD, GAPS and all grain free eaters.