After a holiday meal I always have plenty of leftover sweet potatoes! These days there are so many different types of sweet potatoes to choose from! These sweet potato fries are a real treat and so healthy too!
Be sure to use a good, clean cooking oil or fat and these fries will have none of the problems commercial fries have. I can’t even tolerate the smell of commercial french fries (even the sweet potato fries) because they insist on using rancid vegetable oils to cook them in. I find the smell of fried foods nauseating.
The vegetable oils they use commercially are rancid to begin with and become even more toxic when used for high heat cooking such as when making fries. Read more about fats and cooking oils here and here.
Essentially you want to use a fat or oil that comes from a clean animal source in the case of fats, and from organic plants in the case of oils. For this recipe I used avocado oil which is a great oil for high heat cooking. I’ve also used coconut oil in the past for this recipe.
In combination with the onion and spices, these are a true hit!
- 3 large sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion chopped
- Bacon fat, tallow, lard, avocado oil, coconut oil or ghee for cooking
- Salt, pepper and coriender
- Skin and cube the sweet potatoes
- Chop the onion
- Add the cubed potatoes and onions to two 9 x 13 baking pans
- Add the fat and with your hands mix to coat the potatoes
- Season with the spices and mix again
- Bake at 400º F, turning them every 8 minutes
- Bake about 30 minutes or until just soft and browned
9 x 13 baking pan (where to buy)