Sometimes the easiest thing to make for dinner is a simple baked chicken. You can buy already cut up chicken, or you can cut up the whole chicken yourself.
A pasture raised chicken can be a little tough so I like to brine the chicken overnight before cooking. You don’t have to do this, but I find that it is more tender if you do.
Follow the instructions below to cut up the chicken for baking. It’s easier than you think!
At the same time, set your crockpot up for making chicken bone broth from the bones after you dine on the chicken.
My moto is to never waste good chicken bones!
When I plan to make this simple baked chicken, I usually cut up the chicken and then brine it (along with chicken feet so everything will be ready for the crockpot for making bone broth from the bones and feet).
Recipe: Simple Baked Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cutting Up a Whole Chicken
- Place the chicken breast side up on a cutting board
- With a sharp knife cut into the skin between the thigh and the body
- Pop out the hip joint and cut along the back to separate
- Remove the thighs
- To remove the drumstick and thigh, feel the line of the joint and place the knife across it and cut straight down
- To remove the wings cut straight across the joint
- To remove the back, place breast side down and cut along the fat line up to the neck and remove (save for stock) (this is where scissors come in handy)
- For the breast, place skin side down
- Locate the middle of the breast bone and cut partially through to flatten or cut through to make two pieces of breast
- Place the pieces of chicken in a large baking pan
- Place small pieces of ghee or butter under the skin of the breast and thighs – you may have to poke your finger through the fascia
- Sprinkle the sea salt and granulated garlic over all sides of the pieces
- Bake at 425º F for about 50 to 55 minutes or until a thermometer reads at least 170º F through the middle of the breast and the skin is crispy
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- Slice and serve or just serve pieces
Baking pan (where to buy)