What with Valentine’s Day around the corner, here is a totally healthy recipe for Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Squares that is both Paleo and GAPS compliant.
This treat doesn’t have any of those nasty additives like high fructose corn syrup and it is not sickeningly sweet.
Made with coconut spread (concentrate), shredded coconut, nuts and a little honey, this treat puts commercial candy to shame.
You CAN have a healthy candy. Just don’t eat too many!
That will be hard – I guarantee it!
You may use any nut you have on hand already prepared, but using the roasted hazelnuts makes this really special.
Recipe: Raw Double Chocolate Hazelnut Squares (Paleo, GAPS)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour in refrigerator
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 24 pieces 1x
Melt 3 – 4 ounces of your favorite chocolate on low (I like this one)
Instruction for roasting and skinning hazelnuts
Instructions for soaking and dehydrating nuts
- Warm the jar of coconut spread in a pot of hot water until it is runny
- Grind the hazelnuts to a chunky meal consistency
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the dark chocolate and mix
- On a piece of parchment paper take the base “dough” and roll it out until it is about 1/2 inch thick and smooth — you can use a rolling pin or your hands to do this
- Try to keep the sides even and square – note that the dough will crumble and crack easily so handle it carefully
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to get it firm then remove to cut
- With a pizza wheel or a knife (I think a large knife works better) cut bite sized squares and pull them slightly apart
- If you are serving these, now is the time to put them on a serving plate
- Melt the dark chocolate on low and with a spoon drizzle it over the squares
- Freeze or refrigerate before serving for about one hour
- Keep in the freezer in a container for those moments when you need a quick fix!
Get the recipe for Raw CocoNutty Bites which is similarly made with hazelnuts!