It is the season for sweets. I try to avoid eating conventional chocolate, candy and other sweets because of all the junk additives and dangerous artificial colors, sweeteners and flavorings. Why bother with such garbage when you can easily make your own fantastic candy?
I came up with this recipe for folks that cannot eat chocolate, nuts or dairy. You would think that they are so deprived. But once you taste this candy, you will realize that you can really enjoy eating on a restricted diet!
Note: If you are on the AIP, use vanilla powder. For those not on AIP vanilla extract may be used. You can also use peppermint oil instead of the vanilla for a totally different taste.
Take note that although these are sweetened with a natural sweetener like raw honey, they are still very sweet so eat in moderation and as a treat!
- Outer Cup
- 1/2 cup coconut concentrate softened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp palm shortening softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract or powder
- Inner Filling
- 1/4 cup coconut concentrate
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 medium avocado
- First make the Outer Cup by mixing the ingredients together in a bowl then divide in half
- Place 16 - 18 mini muffin papers on a small cookie sheet or use a mini muffin pan
- Using the first half of the recipe fill the mini muffin cups about 1/4 to 1/3 full
- Put these in the freezer for about 15 minutes until hard
- Now whip up the filling recipe in a mini processor – add all the ingredients except the shredded coconut to the mini processor and process until smooth
- Now add the shredded coconut and mix it in – don't over process it, you want it to have texture
- Now take the mini muffins out of the freezer and if they are hard add a teaspoon of filling to each one, pressing to fill the cup
- Place these back in the freezer for 10 minutes
- When the filling is somewhat hard take them out of the freezer and add the second half of the Outer Cup mixture to each cup, trying to keep the top surface smooth
- Place these into the freezer again
- They are done when they are hard
- Serve cold or at room temperature and enjoy!
- Store in the freezer
- Mini processor (where to buy a mini food processor)
- Mini Muffin unbleached papers (where to buy)
- Mini muffin pan (where to buy)
You may have some of the filling left over – enjoy it as a pudding!