This is a hands on project that yields a sweet, yet healthy treat! These Raw Coco Nutty Bites have an amazing flavor!
This is a great treat to make for Valentine’s Day or any time of the year! Your family will thank you!
Made with coconut spread (concentrate), shredded coconut nut, nuts and a little honey, this treat puts commercial candy to shame. You CAN have a healthy candy. Just don’t eat too many! That will be hard – I guarantee it!
You may use any nut you have on hand already prepared, but using the roasted hazelnuts makes this really special.
Recipe: Raw Coco Nutty Bites (SCD, GAPS, Paleo)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour in refrigerator
- Total Time: 1 hour 15
- Yield: approximately 20 pieces
Ingredients for Coconut Base
Ingredients for Nut Filling
- 1/2 cup ground (to a meal consistency) hazelnuts or pecans (see below for instructions for soaking, dehydrating and roasting)
- 1/4 cup coconut spread
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- Warm the jar of coconut spread in a pot of hot water until it is runny
- In the bowl mix all the ingredients for the coconut base until it is creamy
- On a piece of parchment paper take the base “dough” and roll it out until it is about 1/2 inch thick and smooth — you can use a rolling pin or your hands to do this
- Set aside
- In the same bowl you used for the base, add the filling ingredients — grind up the nuts first until they are of a meal consistency — you do not want big chunks — mix well
- Use your hands to place the filling ingredients on top of the base and smooth until it is even
- Try to keep the sides even and square
- With a pizza wheel or a knife cut bite sized squares and pull them slightly apart
- If you are serving these, now is the time to put them on a serving plate
- Melt the chocolate on low and with a spoon drizzle it over the squares
- Freeze or refrigerate before serving about one hour
- Keep in the freezer in a container for those moments when you need a quick fix!
Melt 2 – 3 ounces of your favorite chocolate on low (I like this one)
Instruction for roasting and skinning hazelnuts
Instructions for soaking and dehydrating nuts