Although we eat winter squash almost on a daily basis, this Holiday Butternut Squash makes it quite special and delicious!
When you stop eating starchy vegetables like corn and potatoes this is the best replacement choice. Butternut squash (and other orange winter squashes) is a great source of carbohydrates that are low on the glycemic index.
Winter squash is full of beta carotene, folate, and potassium and has moderate amounts of magnesium, calcium and vitamin E. Squash is so easy to digest, it is one of babies’ first foods and great for those on introductory GAPS.
At my house we eat a lot of squash because we do not eat other starches. I usually just make the squash and add a little cinnamon. For a holiday I like to make it more festive with added apples and honey (just a little).
My guests have actually preferred this squash dish to the sweet potatoes!
Recipe: Holiday Butternut Squash (Paleo, SCD, GAPS, AIP)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Two large butternut squash
- raw honey
- 2 large organic apples
- Cinnamon (where to buy spices)
- Nutmeg (if not AIP)
- Cut the squash in half horizontally and then vertically
- Place down in a glass baking dish with about 1 inch of water (you will need two dishes for two squash)
- Core the apples and in a separate small dish with a little water place in the oven
- Roast on 400º F for one hour or more
- The apples will take less time than the squash so check on them after 1/2 hour and remove if cooked
- Pierce the squash with a knife to make sure it is cooked thoroughly
- Remove from oven and immediately take out of the dish and let cool flesh side up
- When cool remove the seeds with a spoon (much easier than trying to take them out when raw)
- Place a sieve over a large bowl
- Spoon out the squash into the sieve taking care to avoid tiny pieces of skin (these can upset delicate tummies)
- Let drain for at least an hour
- When cooled and drained place squash in food processor with the honey, baked apples (no skin) and spices and puree
- Place in serving dish and enjoy!