Instructions for the Marinade
- Mix all the ingredients in a jar – you may do this as early as the day before, in order to meld the flavors.
- Place the steak in a long dish, pour the marinade over it and rub into the meat on both sides.
- Let marinate at least one hour or overnight.
Instructions for Preparing and Grilling
- If your tri tip roast is untrimmed (meaning that there is a fairly thick layer of fat on one side), trim this fat until it is a little less than 1/4″ thick. However, leave enough fat to flavor the meat when grilled.
- Set your grill on a low heat
- Place the tri tip fat side up and sear the meat directly over the hot coals (or burners) on each side for about 5 minutes
- Move the meat to a place on the grill so that it is not over direct heat (you can shut off the burners on one side)
- Grill on each side until the middle is medium rare (125-130º F), about 20 more minutes
- If it is a large roast, it will take longer to cook
- If you like it cooked medium to well, it will take longer
- Use a meat thermometer that indicates the temperature necessary for the degree of doneness, but be aware that grass fed meat cooks faster and has a lower temperature for doneness.
- Watch the cooking closely, as you do not want to overcook grass fed beef
- When done, remove from heat and let rest for 10-15 minutes, under an aluminum foil tent
- Thinly slice across the grain
- Use the juice as gravy