Thanksgiving is a time for comfort foods and one of my favorites is stuffing. This Grain Free Thanksgiving Stuffing is delicious!
It is very simple to convert a traditional recipe to accommodate grain free eating. I cut my coconut flour bread into cubes and it tastes just like traditional wheat bread.
No one will know the difference!
Add all the flavors from the other ingredients and you have a savory grain free favorite that is special on Thanksgiving, but certainly may be used any time of the year!
Recipe: Grain Free Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Author: Dr. Jill
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 85 minutes
- Saute the onions and celery in olive oil, butter or ghee until browned then put into a large mixing bowl
- Add more fat and saute the mushrooms until all the water is evaporated and they are browned — put into the bowl
- Mix in the crushed cashews and sunflower seeds (to crush the cashews put them into a ziplock and pound with the back of a plastic cup)
- Slice the grain-free coconut flour bread in 1/3 inch slices and then into cubes
- Add the bread to the other mixture
- Add the salt, spices and raisins and mix together
- Add the egg and mix. I like to scramble the egg separately and add a few drops of water to thin it out a little and then mix it in
- Add the cup of chicken stock and mix
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes uncovered and mix once or twice so the crispy top gets turned in
- Continue baking uncovered until it is dried but not too dry. This should take another 15 minutes
- If there is still liquid in the bottom keep baking and mixing in the crispy top
- Use different nuts like crispy walnuts
- Use dried cranberries or currents
- Use different spices
- Some people like sausage in their stuffing
- large mixing bowl
- Large fry pan
- 8 x 10 dish for baking