For me, Italian plums mark the end of summer – this is their season. This grain free rustic plum tart is a great way to use those tasty plums!
Considered a stone fruit – along with peaches, nectarines, apricots and cherries, they are the short lived treats of summer and need to be appreciated while they are available locally. Italian plums (prunes) appear at this time of year, ready to cook into something delicious.
Stone Fruit Tart
These small plums are not very good for eating raw, but once cooked, they explode with flavor, become soft and sweet and don’t even need to be skinned! So easy for the home chef!
Also know as drupes, these stone fruits are characterized by the hard pit or stone which develops from the ovary wall of the flower. This recipe is really simple and will impress any guest!
Recipe: Grain Free Rustic Plum Tart (SCD, GAPS, Paleo)
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Crust
Ingredients for the Plum filling
- Approximately one pound of small Italian plums
- 1 Tbsp gelatin for the glaze (where to buy)
- 2 Tbsp honey for the glaze
Instructions for the Crust
- In a food processor mix together the eggs, the honey and vanilla extract
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, salt and part of the coconut flour and mix
- Drop in soft pieces of ghee or butter while the processor is running – the batter should start to become a ball (if not add in the rest of the coconut flour)
- Be sure to taste the batter to make sure it is sweet enough for you
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and with your hands form a rectangular crust with sides
- It doesn’t have to be perfect – it is supposed to be rustic
- With a fork, poke holes along the bottom of the crust
- Bake at 325º F for only 8 minutes while you prepare the plums
- Remove crust after 8 minutes and set aside
Instructions for the Plum Filling
- Clean and remove the pits by cutting the plums into quaters
- Line them up close together along the crust
- Mix the glaze by adding 2 tablespoon water to 1 tablespoon of gelatin in a small bowl and mix quickly
- Add the honey and mix quickly together
- It should be the consistency of syrup – you can add a few drops of water if it appears to be too thick
- With a pastry brush, apply the glaze to the plums
- Bake at 325ºF for 15 minutes and check
- If the crust is getting very browned, cover lightly with an oven proof cover like foil or parchment paper (be aware that parchment paper can ignite) and bake for 10 more minutes
- Let cool on the cookie sheet
- Serve at room temperature or cold
- Store in the refrigerator
Here is a recipe for another stone fruit tart.