Ginger is a nice warming herb that is great in entrees, soups and baked goods! These Grain Free Paleo Ginger Snap Cookies pack a nice punch!When you have to avoid nightshade spices, ginger is a welcome alternative!
Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger, also known as Zingiber officinale, is commonly used in cooking and condiments. The main ingredient that affords the many health benefits is the compound gingerol, which is the oily resin found in the root. It acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.
Here are some of the many health benefits of ginger that have been documented in the scientific literature.
- Ginger aids in digestion and acts against nausea.
- Enhances insulin sensitivity which helps sugar metabolism.
- Has been found to have anti-cancer properties.
- Ginger can help with pain – a ginger poultice over an inflamed joint is helpful.
- Ginger has been found to work better against stomach ulcers than prescription antacids.
- Ginger oil and eucalytus oil can aid immunity, breathing and lymphatic drainage.
- Ginger can foster movement throughout the intestines and aid in constipation.
Paleo Ginger Snap Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 Tart/Pie
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup + 2 Tbsp (Use less if sweet enough) – use honey if SCD/GAPS
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup palm shortening (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp ghee or butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (if you love ginger, use a little more)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325º F
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Add the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla ,palm shortening and ghee and process until smooth
- Taste the batter to make sure it is sweet enough for you
- Add the ginger, baking soda, salt and coconut flour and mix well
- Add the shredded coconut and mix well
- Transfer the batter to a bowl for ease
- Using a teaspoon drop the batter unto the prepared cookie sheet leaving room to expand
- Use all the batter this way
- Place plastic wrap over the cookie sheet and with a spatula flatten the cookies (this helps it not stick)
- Remove the plastic and do the same for the other cookie sheet
- Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes or until the edges brown
- Remove and let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a rack to cool
Like this recipe? Get many more and tons of information and instructions on using grain free flours in my fantastic kindle books. You don’t need a kindle to read them, as Amazon offers a FREE reader for all devices, on the sales page for each book.
Grab my kindle books here!
Grain Free Paleo Breads
Grain Free Paleo Snacks
Grain Free Paleo Desserts and Treats
These recipes are suitable for Paleo, SCD, GAPS and all grain free eaters.