I had some organic pears left over that got a bit too ripe for eating raw so I quickly pulled together this recipe for Lemon Pear Muffins.
These came out so good I barely had any to put away!
Last week and I made this delicious Grain Free Spiced Pear Streusel with these very large pears that everyone loved!
Pears are Popular and Nutritious
Pears are the third most popular fruit in the United States and I can understand why.
They are flavorful, juicy and full of nutrients. The many varieties of pears are versatile and may be mixed with other dishes to add texture, moisture and flavor.
Pears are an excellent addition to grain-free baked goods as they add moisture and sweetness.
Pears are rich in potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, folate and choline. They are high in sugars, but these are natural sugars which are very low on the glycemic index.
Grain Free Lemon Pear Muffins
Recipe: Grain Free Lemon Pear Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 15 muffins
- Preheat oven to 325º F
- Set up your muffin pans with the papers
- Using a food processor, chop the peeled and cored pears using the pulse just a few times – you want chunks – you can also chop by hand
- Remove the chopped pears to a bowl and set aside
- Zest and juice the lemon
- Gently melt the ghee and honey together and cream (mix together)
- Add the eggs, creamed honey and ghee, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla to the food processor and mix
- Add the coconut flour – start with 1/2 cup, baking soda and salt and process until smooth
- Add the rest of the coconut flour if the batter is too loose – you want a firm batter that doesn’t run off the spoon
- Add this batter to the pears and mix by hand
- The batter should still be firm but somewhat loose – if too loose, add a little more flour and mix
- Using a tablespoon, spoon this batter into the muffin cups (unbleached paper cups in the tins) – 2 tablespoons per muffin
- Bake for 30 minutes. Check it and bake another 8 – 10 minutes, covered if it is getting too browned on top or until a toothpick comes out clean