This Grain Free, Dairy Free, Zucchini Lasagna recipe came out great and freezes well, so you can make two trays, cut into portions and freeze for another day!
I wanted to use some of the organic zucchini I sourced the other day. I was thinking about the way I used to make lasagna with regular wheat noodles and how nice it was to take a portion out of the freezer on a day that I didn’t or couldn’t cook.
With all our dietary restrictions – no grains, no dairy, no nightshades – it was challenging to think about how best to do this.
I came up with this fabulous recipe for Zucchini Lasagna without grains, dairy or nightshades and compliant with Paleo and AIP diets and also SCD and GAPS if you leave off the white sweet potato crumbs on top.
- 4 - 5 small to medium organic zucchini
- 10 oz. box of mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 - 6 cloves of garlic minced
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 3 cups Squash Gravy
- 2 pound chopped beef (where to buy grassfed beef)
- First order of business is to peel and slice the zucchini – I just used a knife and slice them around 1/8" thick. You could do this a little thicker and/or use a mandolin (carefully!)
- Cut the zucchini in half and then slice
- Lay the slices out on large cookie sheets with paper towel under
- Sprinkle with sea salt or Kosher salt
- Leave at least 15 minutes to release water, then wipe water off and turn the pieces and salt again for another 15 minutes - then wipe again
- While you are waiting for the zucchini, saute the onions and mushrooms, leaving the garlic until the last minutes just to heat until fragrant (one minute) and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- Now brown the meat in the same fry pan you just used for the onions and mushrooms
- Pour off the extra fat and set the beef aside
- When the zucchini has finished "sweating" you want to bake it for 15 minutes in the oven to dry it out a bit
- Remove the paper towels from the cookie sheets and place the slices one layer thick
- Bake at 350º F for about 15 minutes - that should be enough to dry and soften the zucchini
- Putting it Together
- Spoon a layer of the thick sauce on the bottom of the baking pan
- Add a layer of zucchini
- Add a layer of the meat and sprinkle the mushroom and onions on top
- Add another layer of sauce and then zucchini and again the meat and mushrooms
- If you are using the white sweet potato, crumble it as the topmost layer
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife goes through easily
- Uncover and cook for 10 minutes to get the top crispy before serving - or skip this step
- Let cool for 10 minutes to set
- Cut pieces and serve
- Cool and refrigerate or freeze cut portions
- 13 x 9 baking pan
- Large fry pan
- Cookie sheet (where to buy)
Do not add any salt to the sauce or meat – the salted zucchini should be enough and you can always add salt at the table.
Like this recipe? Get many more and tons of information and instructions on using grain free flours in my fantastic kindle books. You don’t need a kindle to read them, as Amazon offers a FREE reader for all devices, on the sales page for each book.
For beautiful broths and soups grab Beyond Broth: Nourishing Homemade Paleo Soups!
These recipes are suitable for Paleo, SCD, GAPS and all grain free eaters.