Some of my patients are allergic to eggs and nuts. I needed some kind of a snack bar that eliminated these two items. I really hate folks to give up egg yolks because they are so full of nutrition, so I tried out this experiment with just the yolks. It’s good!
Many folks who are allergic to eggs are actually allergic to the egg white protein, albumin. Allergy testing may only test the whole egg and not differentiate between the white, which is the protein and the yolk, which is fat, cholesterol, vitamins and minerals.
Egg yolks are full of nutrition in the form of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K2 as well as essential fatty acids, especially DHA. Yolks are rich in folate, selenium, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. (source)
In the yolks there are also a few grams of protein and notably, plenty of cholesterol. You don’t want to eliminate egg yolks if you don’t need to.
Even some of the against cholesterol folks acknowledge that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood levels of cholesterol – and that cholesterol is a critical nutrient in the diet. It is essential for brain function, nerve conduction and children in particular need lots of cholesterol in their diet.
Feed your kids as many egg yolks as they will eat (from pasture raised chickens).
I don’t want people to give up egg yolks in the worst way. Carefully separating the yolks from the white gets easy after a little practice. Hopefully, your allergy is to the white and not the yolk. Using the gelatin egg replacer also adds some good amino acids to the snack and it helps hold things together.
If you do not have an egg allergies, just add whole eggs to the recipe!
Egg White and Nut Free Snack Bar
- 1 cup shredded coconut (where to buy)
- 1/2 cup coconut concentrate (where to buy)
- 1 1/2 banana (somewhat ripe)
- 4 egg yolks (egg separator)
- 2 Tbsp gelatin mixed in 6 Tbsp water (do this at the last minute and quickly) (where to buy)
- 1/4 raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt (where to buy salt and spices)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 stevia
- 1 Tbsp honey (where to buy)
- Mini processor (where to buy a mini food processor)
- baking pan lined with parchment paper (greased with coconut oil) approximately 12 x 8
- In the mini processor chop up the raisins and remove
- Place the banana in the processor and puree
- Place all the ingredients (except the gelatin and water) in the bowl and mix together
- Mix the gelatin and water and quickly mix into the batter
- Lay out the batter on parchment paper (greased), build into a rectangle and flatten
- Sprinkle some more cinnamon on top an smooth with a spatula
- Bake at 325º F for about 15-20 minutes or so until browned on top
- Cool and cut
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 small bars
Tip: The trick to separating egg yolks is to keep shuttling the yolk back and forth between the two halves of the shell when you break it open – until all the white has dripped off. Save the whites for someone else.
You could also use one of these egg separators.
If you don’t tolerate egg yolks I think you can just take them out, use the gelatin egg replacer and the recipe would still work.
Shared at: Hearth & Soul Hop, Real Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Friday