If you have not had fudge for a while because you are on SCD or GAPS, this Mock Cocoa Fudge recipe will really satisfy and rank high on the “treat” scale.
If you are on the SCD or GAPS diets you know you cannot have chocolate.
Cocoa powder is not allowed on SCD (it is on GAPS if you can tolerate it) because it has some starches in it.
The solution is cocoa butter – pure food grade cocoa ( cacao) butter may be used to impart the mild taste of chocolate.
While cocoa solids (powder) are what lends a chocolate bar its characteristic flavor and color, cocoa butter provides smoothness. Cocoa solids contain most of the antioxidants associated with chocolate, however they also contain the greatest concentration of the psychoactive chemicals caffeine and theobromine, which are mainly absent in the cocoa butter.
For people wishing to avoid the sugars, starches and neuro-stimulants in chocolate, cocoa butter is the way to go.
Recipe: Mock Cocoa Fudge (SCD/GAPS)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups shredded coconut (where to buy)
- 1 cup pecan butter ( from 2 cups crispy pecans) (how to make crispy nuts)
- 1/4 cup gently melted cocoa butter (where to buy)
- 8 pureed medjool dates (soaked in water for 1/2 hour to soften)
- 4 tablespoon raw honey (where to buy)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- One tablespoon shredded coconut for rolling the drops in (optional)
- In a food processor grind the pecans to a nut butter, remove and puree the dates to a paste
- In a small pan gently melt the cocoa butter (do not over heat as it will become bitter) – use #2 heat
- Add back the pecan butter, and add the honey, vanilla, shredded coconut and melted cocoa to the processor and mix
- The batter should be firm and will ball up in the processor
- The batter will be slick with oil but manageable
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- With a teaspoon, scoop the batter into your hands and make a ball about the diameter of a nickel
- For a variation, you may roll some in shredded coconut
- Drop the ball onto the cookie sheet
- Bake at 325º F for 20 – 25 minutes or until browned
- Let cool
- Pop into your mouth and savor!