Avocados are so popular these days! It’s no wonder. People are learning about the great nutrition and the healthy oils contained in them. Instead of just slicing avocados onto a salad, I thought a dressing would be really creamy and delicious. And it is!
Avocado oil is high in monounsaturated fats which has been shown to be heart healthy.
Avocado oil has a good omega 3 to 6 ratio. These essential fatty acids, along with the vitamin E content in the oil, protects against free radical damage to the blood vessels.These nutrients also makes your vessel wall stronger and more flexible so that they respond better to sudden changes of blood pressure. Researchers have recently found that avocado oil protects against free radical damage.
Avocado oil may help prevent cancer. The omega 3 fatty acids as well as the vitamin E protect against oxidative damage to tissues.
Avocado oil has been used to improve skin and hair both by ingestion and by typical use. Studies have shown that both intake and topical application of avocado oil can reduce the appearance of age spots, fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin A and D can promote collage production and binding–the intake or application of which can effectively slow down your skin’s aging process.
Avocado oil is also used as a moisturizer for skin and hair. It is a good source of lecithin that is not genetically modified. Lecithin has been used to protect hair follicles from lose of moisture. It is also a good source of sterolin which is used in hair and skin care products as a moisturizer.
Avocado oil is perfect for use in salad dressings because it has a light nutty flavor that blends well with vinegars and spices. I love to use it in mayonnaise because of the light flavor.
In this recipe I use olive oil because that blends well with the avocado, but you could use avocado oil as well.
Avocado Lemon Salad Dressing
- One whole avocado
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice from a large fresh (organic) lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I like this one) or avocado oil (this one)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (I like this one)
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic (where to get spices and salt)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water (or more if you want the dressing a bit thinner)
- Immersion blender
- Glass jar or pitcher
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit
- Scoop out both halves onto a plate and slice into small chunks
- Place the avocado in the cup that comes with the immersion blender
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, water and spices and blend until nice and creamy
- Taste it to make sure it has enough spices
- Serve in a nice container and use immediately