As I mentioned in my previous post about making coconut milk, living dairy-free can be rather challenging. One of the hardest foods to give up is yogurt. The smooth texture of cool yogurt on a hot summer’s day is deeply refreshing. You do not have to miss out! This recipe is easy once you get to know the steps. Just add some fresh berries and it is as satisfying as any fresh dairy product — more so, because this yogurt is truly hand crafted.
While there are several steps to make before the coconut milk yogurt is ready, it is very light and fluffy… so worth the effort! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Heat the coconut milk to 180 degrees to sterilize
- Remove from heat and cool to 105 degrees
- Pour into glass jar and reserve one cup
- Mix cultures into one cup milk
- Mix honey into the cup as well
- Combine cup into the larger portion of milk in the glass jar
- Set into yogurt maker
- Brew for 8 – 12 hours
- The milk will not be thicker after brewing
- After you take it out of the yogurt maker, heat 1/8 cup water to boiling in a small pot
- Mix 2 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoon honey (you add more or less depending upon how sweet you like it) and 3 tablespoons gelatin into the water until well blended
- Mix this mixture into the yogurt and blend well
- Pour into 2 quart jars and refrigerate
- After 6 – 8 hours you will see that the yogurt has separated
- You will need to blend this in a blender as the fat will be hardened
- After blending, refrigerate again for 6 – 8 hours
- Now your yogurt is ready. Enjoy!
This post is linked to: Seasonal Saturday, Seasonal Sunday, Sugar-Free Sunday, Sweet & Savory, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Midnight Maniac Monday, Meatless Monday, Mangia Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Weekend Carnival, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, What’s on the Menu, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Made It On Monday, Foodie Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Tip Day Carnival, Simple Lives Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Frugal Follies, Pennywise Platter Food Trip Friday
Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, Fat Camp Friday, Friday Potluck, Allergy Free Friday, Friday Food, Foodie Friday