One of the most difficult transitions to make when going to a whole foods diet or SCD/GAPS involves the condiments. All commercial mayonnaise is made with soybean oil, even when it is called olive oil mayonnaise.
Soybean oil is a highly refined oil that is full of unhealthy omega 6 fatty acids. Most of the soybeans used to make this soybean oil are from genetically modified plants that are also laced with pesticides. In addition, there are always some other additives in commercial mayonnaise that are “illegal” on SCD/GAPS and are certainly unwelcome by real food foodies.
The solution is to make your own mayonnaise. And it is surprisingly very easy. In fact, it is so easy it takes less then 5 minutes!
- 1 whole egg (pastured eggs are best)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon mustard (SCD/GAPS legal)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup avocado oil
- Pinch celtic sea salt
- Immersion blender (where to buy)
- Using an immersion blender that comes with a tall cup helps make this recipe easy and successful.
- Put all the ingredients, except the oil, in the cup.
- Now pour the oil on top of the other ingredients.
- Place the blender into the cup all the way to the bottom and start.
- Watch as it turns into mayonnaise in seconds!
- Check out the video!
- Try other healthy oils. Sally Fallon recommends a mixture called Mary’s Oil (named after Mary Enig the lipid biochemist who was the first to blow the whistle on the dangers of trans fats). This is three equal parts of coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and sesame oil.
- Using some coconut oil will help the mayonnaise solidify.
- Add other spices for different tastes.
- Use vinegar instead of the lemon juice.
- This will last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. That is why I make small amounts. If you add 1/4 cup whey leave it on the counter for 7 to 8 hours, it will ferment and last 2 to 3 months.
Prep Time: 5 minutes