It’s summer and the zucchini are coming in! Of course I forage for them as I do not have room in my garden for growing large zucchini plants. I did try that last year and I got one zucchini before the plants faded away. Very disappointing. However, my local real food market, Rita’s Real Food in Bayport, is selling large zucchini for $1.50 per pound. That’s a bargain!
If you are lucky enough to grow zucchini, I’m sure you are wondering what to do with them all! This is a great recipe for making a wonderful and fun snack for kids and adults that is SCD/GAPS friendly, especially in the early stages of the diet. Zucchini is one of the first vegetables to eat on these diets as it is so easy to digest when it is peeled and deseeded. For another great zucchini recipe check out my Coconut Zucchini Muffins!
Zucchini or courgette is full of vitamins A, C and folate. It has moderate amounts of choline, vitamin K and trace amounts of the B vitamins. It is also full of potassium with some phosphorus, calcium and magnesium and trace minerals. There is a healthy 2:1 ratio of Omega 3 to 6. It’s a winner!
Grain-Free Zucchini Pancakes
5 – 6 pounds zucchini squash (organic if possible)
10 eggs (pastured if possible)
1 cup coconut flour
2 -3 teaspoons sea salt
Butter, coconut oil or ghee for cooking
- Peel and deseed all the zucchini. If you are not on SCD or GAPS and you don’t mind seed and skins, skip this step. This is a great snack for those in the early stages of SCD/GAPS so peeling and deseeding is important.
- Using the grate attachment on the food processor, grate all the zucchini
- Saute the zucchini in ghee or butter until soft and then place in mesh strainer to drip out excess water
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl first, as fishing shells out of the processor bowl is difficult
- Process the eggs in the food processor
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of salt (these are really good salty)
- Add the zucchini and gently mix
- Add the cup of coconut flour in small increments and process until the batter is somewhat firm but not too stiff