Many times when I travel I really miss my morning shake. I have taken to bringing the ingredients with me in separate containers and I purchased a small blender that really works well. But I have found that sometimes it is more convenient to prepare the shakes a head of time, in concentrated form, and then to freeze them. This is a space saving way to travel with a “fast food!”
I’ve also encountered problems in some places in getting ripe bananas. In the winter it can take 4 -5 days to ripen a banana! Once, when we went to Aruba, there were no bananas on the island the whole week I was there. As they import all their food, you can only get what comes in on the boats. This recipe has the banana already incorporated in the mix. And it removes any effort to make, so anyone can do it!
When you get to your destination, you can keep them in the freezer until you are ready to use. Then keep one or two in the refrigerator (to thaw a little) and just blend them up with a cup of water when you are ready. This also works well for a child away at camp or school.
Shake To Go Concentrate
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconnut cream or spread (where to buy coconut products)
- 2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons blueberries, peaches or any fruit you like in it
- 1/2 ripe banana
- a little water
- Using a 3 – 4 quart pot, put together the coconut cream, coconut oil, fruit and banana
- Warm the mixture slightly on the stove just until the coconut melts a little
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the mixture until smooth
- Make sure it is cool when you pour it into an 8 ounce freezer and travel safe container
- When you are ready to use, put into blender and add 8 ounces of water
- Blend and enjoy!
- Use coconut milk instead of the coconut cream
- For those who eat dairy, use fresh raw goat or cow milk instead of the coconut cream
- Add a raw pastured egg to each one
- Add kefired milk or kefired coconut water (you may lose the probiotic content when this is frozen)
- Whatever you normally put into a shake
- What would you put into your Shake To Go? Leave a comment and let me know!