These may look like they took hours to make, but you can make these healthy (relatively) treats for company in a snap with ingredients you probably have in your pantry!
I had a hankering for a peppermint patty but I would never eat those anymore. When I was a kid sugar was the main issue. Now they are full of high fructose corn syrup, cheap flavorings, sugar made from GMOs and other toxic additives.
Why eat something like that when it is so easy to make a bunch of healthy treats at home to keep in the freezer when the urge comes upon you? This is also a good way to get some coconut into the diet.
Trade in the Junk
What better treat for getting your kids to trade in the junk they are given at school? After a while of eating high quality food your kids will notice just how artificially sweet store bought candy is. It is also a fun project to do with kids and they will appreciate how good these taste even more.
Ingredient for Commercial Peppermint Patties
These Peppermint cups are made with healthy coconut spread and lightly sweetened. With all the health benefits of coconut, you just can’t go wrong!
Peppermint Chocolate Cups
Ingredients for Filling
- 3/4 cup coconut spread (also known as coconut cream concentrate) (buy coconut cream concentrate here)
- 2 Tbsp honey (where to buy)
- 1/4 tsp stevia (where to buy)
- 1 tsp vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
Ingredients for the Chocolate
- Melt 8 ounces of your favorite chocolate bar (I like this one)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint oil
- 2 small pots (where to buy)
- Mini muffin papers (where to buy)
- Cookie sheet or mini muffin pan (where to buy)
- Gently melt the coconut spread (#2 heat) in the pot — coconut spread will burn quickly so be careful
- Add the honey, vanilla and stevia and mix together
- In the other pot, at the same time, gently melt the chocolate and mix in the peppermint oil (#2 heat)
- Set up your muffin papers before you start
- Pour a layer of chocolate into the bottom of the muffin papers — freeze for 10 minutes
- Then pour a layer of the coconut spread — back in the freezer for another 10 minutes
- Finally pour another layer of the chocolate on top and freeze for another 10 minutes — keep in a container in the freezer until ready to serve
- Serve in the muffin papers or not
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Yield: approximately 14
If you have extra filling, use it to make these delicious Coconut Truffles!