Macaroons are the most obvious treat for someone who is going grain-free. However, all the recipes I tried have turned out very dry and unappetizing. I’ve finally hit the jackpot with this one! These macaroons turn out moist and tasty every time!
Macaroons were originally almond meringue cookies that had a crisp crust and a soft interior. They were made from egg whites and almond paste. The name comes from the Italian maccarone (mah-kah-ROW-nay),the word for pasta/macaroni and dumplings.
Some culinary historians claim that the original macaroons can be traced to an Italian monastery. Italian Jews adopted the cookie as a Passover treat because it has no leavening agents in it. After a while, coconut replaced the almond paste in most recipes.
I like this recipe because it uses the whole egg and I don’t have to think about how to use left over whites. It is also amazingly moist and gets better as it stays in the refrigerator. It is a great treat for Passover as well as any other holiday or time of the year.
- 5 cups shredded coconut (where to buy unsweetened shredded coconut)
- 4 tablespoon honey (where to buy honey)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (where to buy coconut cream)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter (how to make ghee)
- 2 medium eggs
- In a food processor chop 3 1/2 cups of the shredded coconut until it is very small pieces, keep 1 1/2 cups aside
- Remove the chopped coconut and place in a pot with 1 1/4 cup of warm water
- Mix on a warm burner on top of the stove until it is soft and like a paste (about 5 minutes)
- Put it back into the food processor and process with the honey, ghee, eggs, vanilla and coconut cream
- As the last ingredient, add the 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut and mix
- The batter should be thick
- Place a small tablespoon of the batter into mini cupcake papers set on a cookie sheet
- Bake at 325 degrees F for approximately 20 – 30 minutes until just browning
- Let cool
- These taste awesome after being refrigerated
This post is shared at: What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2Day, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Cast Party Wednesday, Thriving on Thursday, Tastastic, Full Plate Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Freaky Friday, Friday Food, Seasonal Celebration, Sunday School, Super Food Sunday, Sugar-Free Sunday, Melt in Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Barnyard Hop, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Hop, Traditional Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday Naptime, Tasty Tuesday Tidbits, Made From Scratch Tuesday