I bought a huge bag of organic lemons from the market a few weeks ago and they have been sitting in my refrigerator ever since. I don’t know what caused me to buy so many. It’s really not hot enough for lemonade, but it’s always fun to have macaroons on hand!
Macaroons are such a healthy treat. While there is a little sweetener, (honey) I try to use the minimum amount and supplement with a little stevia. Over the entire recipe this amounts to less than 1/2 tsp of honey for each macaroon which is offset by the amount of good coconut fat. Next time I’ll try to use less honey. I encourage you to taste the batter before finishing, so you know if it is sweet enough for you.
In this recipe I use whole eggs. I never liked using just egg whites and I have found that using the whole egg helps keep these macaroons moist and delicious!
When Life Brings You Lemons Make Lemon Macaroons
Lemon juice and lemon zest add a light, fresh taste that is so satisfying and reminiscent of hot summer days. We all know lemon is high in vitamin C, but it also contains folate, vitamin A, choline, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium.
A whole cup of fresh lemon juice has just 6 grams of sugar, compared to a cup of apple juice which has 24 grams or sugar.
Conventional citrus fruits have a lot of pesticides on them and in them. Even though I used organic lemons, I still wash them thoroughly when using the skin for zest. When zesting, don’t press too hard as you just want the outer skin and not the pith (the white part) as that is bitter.
Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- 5 cups shredded coconut (where to buy coconut products)
- 1/2 cup honey (where to buy)
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (liquid) or coconut milk (where to buy)
- 1 tsp lemon zest from an organic lemon (I used 2 small lemons)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (where to buy)
1. In a food processor, process 3.5 cups of the shredded coconut into very small pieces, keeping 1.5 cups aside
2. Remove the 3.5 cups chopped coconut and place in a pot with 1 cup of warm water
3. Mix on a warm burner on top of the stove until it is soft and like a paste (about 5 minutes)
4. Zest the two small lemons first and then juice them
5. Put the warm coconut back into the food processor and process with the honey, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut flour and coconut cream
6. As the last ingredient, add the 1.5 cups of shredded coconut that you put aside and mix
7. The batter should be thick
8. Place a small tablespoon of the batter into mini cupcake papers set on a cookie sheet (or form a mound)
9. Bake at 325 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes until just browning
10. Let cool
11. These taste especially awesome after being refrigerated
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: About 50 macaroons