After I made the strawberry rhubarb jam I decided to use it as the filling for this beautiful strawberry rhubarb tart! Nice surprise for a grain free mom!
The crust is somewhat like a cookie and the filling has that sweet tartness that makes it irresistible! Get the recipe for the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam here.
Both Strawberries and Rhubarb are Packed With Nutrients!
Rhubarb has many medicinal uses. For instance, it has been used for its balancing effect upon the digestive system. Rhubarb is one of the most widely used herbs in Chinese medicine. Rhubarb roots are harvested in the fall from plants that are at least six years old. The roots are then dried and used as an antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitumor, demulcent, diuretic, laxative, purgative, stomachic and tonic. (source)
Rhubarb is also rich in vitamin C, calcium, vitamin K and dietary fiber. When it is unsweetened it is very low in sugar.
Be sure to use only organic strawberries as the EWG has just placed them as #1 on the dirty dozen list! Strawberries are high in vitamins A, C and folate and the mineral potassium. There is also a very nice omega 3 to 6 ratio in strawberries.
- Ingredients for the Crust
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup honey (Use less if sweet enough)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup palm shortening (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Ingredient for the Filling
- see recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Instructions for the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and prepare the 10" tart pan with a parchment paper liner that is greased with virgin coconut oil
- In a food processor mix together the eggs, honey, vanilla, ghee and palm shortening until smooth
- Add the salt, coconut flour and shredded coconut and process until a dough is formed
- Place the dough into the prepared tart pan
- Press the dough into the pan making the sides high and even and the bottom even
- Bake for approximately 18 - 21 minutes or until lightly browned (watch carefully that the sides do not get burned)
- Cool in the pan
- Store in refrigerator until ready to fill
- Instructions for Filling
- See the instructions for making the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Putting it Together
- Let the crust come to room temperature
- Carefully remove the crust from the sides of the tart pan by separating the bottom from the sides
- Keep the crust on the bottom part of the pan for serving
- Place on your serving platter now
- Add the jam to the tart and carefully push it to the sides
- Smooth the top with an angled spatula
- Refrigerate and eat cold
- Food processor (where to buy a food processor)
- 9″ tart pan (where to buy)
- Angled spatula (where to buy)
Tip: Be sure to remove the sides of the tart pan before filling