If you are looking for a hands on recipe, this is the one for you. This is a great recipe to make with your kids as they will love getting their little hands immersed in the batter. It is simple, yet incredibly tasty and a great introduction to grain-free baking for you and your whole family!
When you go grain-free, many folks need replacements for all the starchy foods they have been eating. They also miss things that are crunchy. This simple recipe is a good way to convince your family that going grain-free will still provide them with some of the foods they love.
The ingredients are all healthy alternatives to the gluten and sugary snacks out on the market. This shortbread is delicious and has nutrition so don’t feel guilty if you want to eat the whole pan!
We loved this recipe for shortbread from Our Nourishing Roots and used it for inspiration. After all, how different can a grain-free shortbread be?
Grain-Free Shortbread Drizzled with Chocolate
Ingredients for the Shortbread
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
- 2 tsp sea salt + extra for sprinkling on top (where to buy)
- 3 Tbsp honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
- 4 Tbsp ghee or butter in cold chunks (how to make ghee) (Where to buy ghee)
- Coconut oil for greasing the pan (where to buy coconut oil)
Ingredients for the Topping
- Melt 3 – 4 ounces of your favorite chocolate (I like this one) (this one is made with honey not sugar) on low in a small pot
- 9 x 9 baking pan (where to buy)
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients with a fork
- Place half of the pieces of ghee or butter along with all the honey and mix with your hands
- The technique should be a kneading technique where you are breaking up the pieces of ghee or butter into smaller bits and mixing
- Add the vanilla here
- The goal is to have pea sized pieces of ghee or butter in the dough; add more ghee or butter and continue to knead the dough to get a pliable consistency
- Prepare the pan by thoroughly coating with coconut oil (really well or it will stick)
- Place the dough into the pan and pack the dough evenly into the pan with your hands
- Use the salt shaker and sprinkle the top with as much salt as you like (we like ours salty)
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 25 minutes — check and add a few more minutes (6 – 10) until the edges start to brown
- While still warm use a pizza wheel or a knife cut the squares around 3/4″ (or however large you like)
- Let cool in pan
Instructions for topping
- Drizzle the chocolate over the square and let set in the refrigerator for one hour before serving
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes