There are two things I love about this recipe. The ginger and the crock pot. I love the chicken too, but that goes without saying. The crock pot has to be one of my favorite kitchen appliances. You can literally throw things in it in the morning, set to low and come home 8 hours later to a home cooked meal. This is one of our favorites!
Health Benefits of Ginger
Known as Zingiber officinale, ginger has been used medicinally for 2000 years. There are several compounds in ginger that are considered the “active ingredients” but it is well known that trying to isolate these chemicals (shogaol, zingerone, and gingerols) does not impart the same effect as when taken as a whole food.
That said, most of the scientific studies conducted have used isolated compounds from ginger root.
- These studies have found ginger to be effective against cancer cells such as lung, ovarian, colon, breast and pancreatic among others.
- Ginger has also been found to have a powerful antibiotic effect, particularly against staph aureus.
- Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is helpful for any inflammatory condition such as arthritis.
- It is common knowledge that ginger is a great home remedy for stomach ailments of all kinds, including nausea and motion sickness, nausea associated with morning sickness, as well as nausea associated with chemotherapy.
Ginger may be taken as an extract or a tea. You can buy ginger tea bags but you can also make your own ginger tea from one cubic inch of fresh ginger, sliced or grated. Boil the ginger in 1.5 cups of water for about 10 minutes — strain the ginger out and add lemon and/or a sweetener and enjoy!
Ginger Crock Pot Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 carrots cut into thin sticks
- 4 stalks scallion chopped
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced (more if you love ginger)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (how to make chicken stock)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (where to buy)
- Salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- 6 quart crock pot (where to buy)
- Small bowl
- Rinse the chicken thighs and place in the crock pot — you will have two layers
- Sprinkle the cut vegetables, ginger and garlic on top
- In a separate bowl mix the chicken stock, sesame oil coconut aminos and lime juice until combined
- Pour this over the chicken
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
- You can brown the chicken in the roasted sesame oil first in a separate fry pan if you like (for only 2 minutes each side) — but this is not necessary
- You can add a little heat with red pepper flakes to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
This post is shared at: Melt in Mouth Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesday,Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2Day, Allergy Free Wednesday, Fight Back Friday