This hot weather makes me in the mood for something frozen. Something that I can whip up in a jiffy with ingredients I have on hand. This is a great recipe for kids to help with and to enjoy instead of those horrible ice pops with all the artificial colorings and additives!
Blueberries are one of my favorite type of berry because I can get them organic and frozen. Fresh organic blueberries are very expensive and usually not so fresh around these parts. I use the organic frozen blueberries for many recipes including my Coconut Blueberry Pudding and my Coconut Blueberry Banana Bars – both awesome recipes and staples in my house.
Anthocyanin (the pigment that makes blueberries blue) contains naturally occurring plant chemicals called polyphenols which have very high antioxidant characteristics. The darker, deeper blue fruits have the highest anthocyanin values, thereby supplying the most potent antioxidant sources.
The USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, in Boston, has developed an assay called ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity), which rates the antioxidant capacity of foods. Fresh blueberries have a high level of ORAC, at 2400 per 100 grams. Researchers have found that blueberries rank #1 in antioxidant activity when compared to 40 common fresh fruits and vegetables.
This recipe is a great frozen treat for a hot day!
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (large size if you can get them)
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup creamy coconut milk
- Place the frozen blueberries in a bowl
- Add the lemon juice and mix well with the blueberries
- With a stick blender, blend up the coconut milk so it is creamy and smooth
- Add this to the blueberries and mix well so all the berries are coated with the coconut milk
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and spread the berries apart as best you can
- Place in the freezer for at least one hour before serving
- Break apart the pieces and serve in a bowl or as finger food
- Immersion blender (where to buy)
- Cookie sheet (where to buy)
- Parchment paper (where to buy parchment paper)
- Lemon squeezer (where to buy a handheld lemon juicer)