Summer and it’s time for some healthy and refreshing desserts and snacks. I LOVE this as a snack or dessert. It is actually very filling and oh so satisfying!
Gelatin is a Healthy Food
Gelatin is made from the bones and skins of animals and it contains collagen, which is a component of the connective tissue of animals and humans. This connective tissue is what holds your bones together in the form of tendons and ligaments and it is also part of the mucous membrane layer of the intestinal lining.
Gelatin is so important for healing the mucous lining of the gut. Gelatin from grassfed cows is best to use. It is a critical part of the daily diet because it supplies the important amino acids, proline and glycine — two amino acids that many people do not get enough of.
Collagen is part of our very makeup. When the nutrition of a person is not supporting collagen, many digestive and joint problems can appear. Therefore, it is very important to supply your body with collagen in as natural a form as possible.
The best way to do this is with bone broths, as the collagen and gelatin from the bones will be present in the broth in a very easy form for the body to assimilate. Sadly, most people do not drink homemade bone broth.
Another good way to get collagen and gelatin into your diet is by using gelatin from grassfed cows in recipes. This recipe is a fun way to get some gelatin into a meal along with other good foods like coconut milk and anti-oxidant rich berries.
This is a fun dessert to make with the kids for the holiday weekend. Little do they know that it is also a way to get some important gelatin into their growing bodies.
Coconut Berry Parfait with GF Chocolate Crust (Paleo, GAPS)
Ingredients for the Coconut Filling
- 2 cans coconut milk (where to buy)
- 2 Tbsp honey (where to buy)
- 2 Tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp gelatin (where to buy)
- 1 cup each of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries (organic and cleaned)
Ingredient for the Crust
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (where to buy)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt (where to buy)
- 6 four to six ounce parfait glasses or other glass cup (these are 2.5 ounces but awfully cute!)
- 3 quart pot (where to buy)
- Whisk (where to buy)
- Prepare the crust first by combining all the crust ingredients into a bowl and mixing until well combined
- Add the crust to the bottom of each parfait glass (about an inch high) and set aside
- Mix the 2 cans of milk so that the milk is smooth
- Pour into the pot and gently heat to warm
- Add the honey and vanilla and whisk
- Gently sprinkle the gelatin in as you are whisking
- Add mixed fruit to the glasses and pour the coconut milk mixture until the glass is full
- You can also layer the fruit and pour the coconut milk mixture a little at a time, refrigerate until jelled (30 minute) and add more fruit and coconut milk to create layers
- It takes at least 30 minutes to jell
- Use sturdy glass (not crystal) for use, especially with children
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 2 – 3 minutes
Yield: 4 eight ounce servings or 6 – 8 four ounce servings
Check this Fun Coconut Jello Flag recipe!