Let’s be more exotic and call these cacao butter cupcakes. But whether you call it cacao or cocoa, it is still the same — the pure fat from the cacao bean. The fibrous part of the bean is the powder. When you put both together you have chocolate. Here is an amazing and I mean amazingly moist cupcake with a surprise ingredient.
Not only is there a secret ingredient that no one has to know about except you, but it adds to the flavor and texture of the cake. These cupcakes are reminiscent of the ever so popular red velvet cake except these are extraordinarily healthy and legal on SCD and GAPS. (Note that the cupcake is legal on SCD but the chocolate icing is not).
Pure cacao butter
The purest chocolate comes from organic food grade cacao butter. This is 100% fat and is legal on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which allows no starches. This cacao butter imbues a mild chocolate flavor to any baked product. Many goodies can be made that are full of nutrition and satisfying to chocolate lovers.
Cocoa butter is also well tolerated by people who are caffeine sensitive, because there is no caffeine in pure cacao butter. I personally, feel no effects at all from cocoa butter — but I do feel the caffeine in cocoa powder because I am very sensitive to caffeine and do better without it.
Beets — a root generous with nutrition and protection
Beets are an earthy root vegetable that contains unique antioxidants and phytonutrients. The two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin are antioxidants that have been found to offer protection against coronary artery disease, stroke and have anti-aging effects. Additionally, lutein and zeaxanthin are powerful protectors against free radical damage, particularly with respect to the macula and retina of the eye.
Beets also are a unique source of betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. The betalains also lower the levels of homocysteine in the body which can be harmful to the blood vessels. Thus, beetroot offers protection against cardiovascular diseases.
Beets are rich in vitamin A, folate, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium and have also been shown to protect against cancer, particularly of the skin, liver, lung, prostate and breast. You really can’t beat the nutrition here.
Cocoa Butter Cupcakes
- 6 eggs (pastured if possible)
- 1/2 cup cacao (cocoa) butter (where to buy organic cocoa butter)
- 2 cups crispy pecans (where to buy crispy pecans) (how to make soaked and dehydrated nuts)
- 2 cups steamed, chopped organic beets (make sure to steam them until they are soft)
- 1/2 cup honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1 or 2 muffin tins (where to buy stainless steel muffin tins)
- In a food processor process the pecans until they are as smooth as a nut butter
- Add the cooked beets and process with the nut butter until they are pureed
- Don’t freak out — the batter will be pink!
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add to the processor and mix
- On the stove melt the cocoa butter on a low heat or in a double boiler (don’t over heat or it will become bitter)
- Add the cocoa butter, honey and vanilla to the food processor and mix
- Add the coconut flour, salt and baking soda and mix
- The batter should be firm — if it is not firm, add coconut flour 1 teaspoon at a time
- Pour the batter into a bowl and from there spoon it into muffin cups in your muffin tin
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Click here for the link to Cocoa Butter Icing. This is not SCD legal, but is GAPS legal.
Click here for a link to Raspberry Jam. This is SCD legal and awesome on these cupcakes.
This post is shared at: Monday mania, Barnyard Hop, Real Food 101, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday Traditional Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday 33, Allergy Free Wednesday, Sustainable Ways, Gluten Free Wednesday, Mommy Club, Whole Foods Wednesday, Health 2Day, Whole Food Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Creative Juice Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday, Foodie Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Food, Sunday School, Seasonal Celebration, Trio of Tastebuds